Recovery from addiction is challenging and takes immense effort and dedication. New Year’s is an excellent time to reflect on your life and make plans to stay on track in your recovery. Setting realistic New Year’s goals can save you from setbacks and disappointments in your addiction recovery. It is important to remember that New Year’s resolutions should not be about attaining perfection but rather about making progress. An outpatient drug rehab center can provide the support you need to set and implement realistic and attainable recovery goals in the new year.
At Westwind Recovery®, our compassionate and experienced team of addiction specialists in Los Angeles, California, understand the challenges of staying sober. No matter where you are in your recovery journey, we can help you attain your goals. Reach out to us at 855.340.8832 to learn more.
Setting Realistic Goals for Recovery in the New Year
Setting goals for staying sober in the new year can be challenging, as it requires a commitment to changing addictive behaviors and the willpower to stand by the promises you make to yourself. Behavioral changes that support lasting recovery take time to become established. As you look to make a fresh start and achieve significant goals in the new year, consider the following questions to put your recovery goals in perspective:
- What stage are you at in your recovery?
- Are your goals consistent with the principles of sober living?
- Do you have the resources your need to achieve your goals?
- How does your current environment impact your recovery goals?
- What changes are you willing to make to achieve your recovery goals?
- Is your timeframe for achieving your goals realistic?
- Do you have a strong support network?
Tips for How to Stay Sober in the New Year in Los Angeles, California
It is easy to set New Year’s resolutions but harder to follow through. Research shows that less than ten percent of people achieve their New Year’s resolutions. When making your resolutions and recovery goals for the new year, keeping the SMART acronym in mind can help ensure your success. This means making sure that your resolutions are:
Consider the following tips for maintaining your commitment to staying on track in recovery in the new year:
- Write it down – Writing down your resolutions and putting them somewhere you can be reminded of them daily will make you more likely to follow them.
- Start small – Focus on changing one behavior at a time. Trying to change too much too quickly will leave you feeling overwhelmed and more likely to give up.
- Check in with yourself – Plan a set time to regularly check in on yourself and evaluate where you are with your goals. Make adjustments when necessary.
- Share your resolutions with others – Sharing your goals with your therapist, peers, and support network reinforces accountability and provides encouragement and motivation.
- Reward yourself – As you make progress toward your resolutions, rewarding yourself will give you extra motivation.
Remember to not be too hard on yourself. There will be good days and bad days. Acknowledging when you have lost focus and reminding yourself of the end goal can serve as inspiration to help you stay on track.
Reach Out to Westwind Recovery® for Support for a Sober New Year’s
In Los Angeles, California, Westwind Recovery® provides multiple levels of addiction treatment to help you or your loved one have a sober New Year’s Eve and support your recovery in the new year to come. More than just an addiction treatment center, we are a community of people who share the common goal of living a life of recovery.
At our drug rehab center in Los Angeles, you will receive:
- Individual counseling with addiction professionals
- Group therapy
- Access to medical doctors and psychiatrists
- Education about addiction and co-occurring disorders
- Evidence-based and holistic therapies
- 12-step facilitation
- Medication-assisted treatment
Reach out to our team today to learn more about how we can support you in staying on track in your recovery during the new year. Use our secure online form or call 855.340.8832.
Dr. Deena is the Chief Clinical Officer of Westwind Recovery®, an award-winning outpatient treatment center in Los Angeles where she oversees the clinical and administrative program and treatment methods. Dr. Deena is a doctor of psychology and licensed clinical social worker since 1993. LCSW #20628. Originally from the East Coast, Dr. Deena has worked running treatment centers, worked as a therapist in psychiatric hospitals as well as school settings and currently has a thriving private practice in the LA area. Dr. Deena has appeared regularly on the Dr. Phil Show as an expert since 2003. She has also been featured on many other TV shows, podcasts and has contributed to written publications as well as podcasts.