Drug and alcohol detox and subsequent rehab programs are necessary treatments for addiction, but they are only the beginning of the recovery journey. After completing substance abuse treatment, people naturally have to return to their daily lives of work or school, family obligations, and general responsibilities. Completing treatment is an incredible accomplishment that can come with mixed feelings of pride and trepidation.
Many life skills fall to the wayside in the struggle with addiction and mental health disorders or are forgotten altogether. When you participate in the life skills training program at Westwind Recovery®, you will leave treatment armed with the skills to assist you in maintaining a healthy and productive life of sobriety. Find out how you or a loved one can acquire the life skills training necessary to return to life after recovery by calling 855.340.8832 or using the online form.
What Is a Life Skills Training Program?
Transitioning to daily life after completing a substance abuse treatment program can seem like a daunting task. In truth, it can be. Often, returning to life after rehab means returning to an environment full of triggers for your addictive behaviors. Studies indicate that relapse most frequently occurs within the first six months following treatment. In your addiction treatment program at Westwind Recovery®, you will learn about relapse prevention and develop a plan to minimize your risk for relapse. You will also learn the like skills needed to support your sobriety.
A life skills training program will teach you new skills and help you relearn ones you may have forgotten. Experts in addiction and mental health agree that an essential set of skills is required to lead a healthy and productive sober life. Depending on your individual needs, life skills training at Westwind Recovery® will help teach you the following:
- Self-care – Looking after yourself and making time for things like regular exercise, meditation, or hobbies that make you feel fulfilled
- Healthy habits and routines – Proper hygiene, getting enough sleep, eating a nutritious diet, and following routines all promote healthy living
- Time management – Effective time management helps you keep a schedule, maintain structure, and reduce boredom which is a relapse trigger
- Social skills – Healthy relationships built on trust, open communication, honesty, and healthy boundaries are critical to maintaining sobriety
- Managing finances – Financial instability and stress are common triggers, so learning to be responsible with money is an important skill
- Emotion and stress management – Learning emotional regulation and healthy coping skills to manage stressful situations is essential to maintaining sobriety
- Setting goals – Having goals gives you purpose, promotes self-efficacy, improves self-esteem, and keeps you moving forward
Learn More About Life Skills Training at Westwind Recovery®
Life skills training is only one of many holistic and evidence-based therapy programs offered at Westwind Recovery®. Addiction impacts all areas of your life, so effective treatment must address all of these areas. The following is a sampling of the treatment programs you will find in our inpatient drug rehab center, outpatient drug rehab center, or sober living houses:
- Family therapy program
- Mental health treatment program
- Trauma therapy program
- Adventure therapy program
- Music therapy program
- Art therapy program
- Chronic pain management program
Community plays a significant role in the success of addiction rehabilitation. Westwind Recovery® is more than just a treatment center. Instead, we are a community of like-minded people who have joined forces to fight substance abuse, mental health disorders, and dual diagnoses and teach others how to live healthy, fulfilling lives of sobriety.
Begin Your Recovery Journey at Westwind Recovery®
If you or a loved one are suffering from addiction, you are not alone, and help is available. At Westwind Recovery®, we have helped thousands get sober and learn the skills necessary for a healthier life.
We understand that even for individuals who have accepted that they need addiction treatment, asking for help can be a difficult step to take. If a phone call is holding you back, you can use our online form to make contact, and someone from our team will reach out to you. If you are ready to make the call, you can reach our team at 855.340.8832.
Dr. Deena is the Chief Clinical Officer of Westwind Recovery®, an award-winning outpatient treatment center in Los Angeles where she oversees the clinical and administrative program and treatment methods. Dr. Deena is a doctor of psychology and licensed clinical social worker since 1993. LCSW #20628. Originally from the East Coast, Dr. Deena has worked running treatment centers, worked as a therapist in psychiatric hospitals as well as school settings and currently has a thriving private practice in the LA area. Dr. Deena has appeared regularly on the Dr. Phil Show as an expert since 2003. She has also been featured on many other TV shows, podcasts and has contributed to written publications as well as podcasts.