Nearly everyone who has a substance use disorder also has a family that has stood beside them. This family has likely encouraged their loved one to stop using the addictive substance and/or to seek outside help. Like most families, yours likely provides both a source of support and stress. A family therapy program in Los Angeles is an important component of recovery.
What is a Family Therapy Program?
A family therapy program in Los Angeles brings you and members of your immediate family together. This can include your parents, siblings and their significant others, if appropriate, and other close relatives or guardians. Additionally, extended family members like grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles might also participate, depending on your relationship with them.
Because you are a result of the environment in which you grew up, your family played an important role in your development. This includes all aspects like physically, spiritually, and emotionally. You are impacted by those family members who were instrumental in your upbringing and their actions impacted you in a myriad of ways. A grandparent’s illness, from example, can affect your life as well as the lives of those who are caring for both you and your loved one.
What can a Family Therapy Program Accomplish?
Working with a trained professional in effective family therapy can provide a number of services. For example, they can assist you and your family in addressing and resolving a specific issue. They can also address the role that your family plays in your life while improving those strengths and alleviating any weaknesses. An important way that family therapy assists a person who has a substance use disorder is to help move you and your family through your recovery and become stronger.
Westwind has developed a comprehensive Family Program. With professional Family Therapy and Couples Therapy, Westwind Recovery® can:
- Help family members learn and practice more effective communication tools.
- Help parents take a proactive role in a parent-child relationship
- Help family members work toward healing and reconciliation for past wrongs.
- Help each family member recognize their needs and the validity of those needs.
- Help an addict or alcoholic recognize social, economic, medical or psychiatric threats to continuing recovery and, with the help of family members, develop strategies to deal with those threats.
- Help develop long-distance therapeutic relationships utilizing existing technologies like Facetime, Skype, etc.
We offer these services, first as a stop-gap to ongoing harm, and then as a more permanent solution, bringing health and serenity to the damaged family unit.
Benefits of Family Therapy
In many cases, a family therapy program is used to immediately address any crisis that brought you to seek professional assistance with a substance use disorder as a stop-gap measure. Over time, however, family therapy transforms into a valuable tool that’s used to work on the ongoing family dynamics and how they could affect your recovery. Other benefits include:
- Gaining a better understanding of how your family works
- Learn how you fit into your family and your role within it
- Identify ways and methods to make the entire family stronger and more resilient
- Discover both the weaknesses and strengths that exist within every family
- Develop and improve communication skills
- Identify challenges, set goals and develop strategies for reaching those goals
How Important is Family Therapy to Recovery?
It’s likely that even if you are entering treatment for a substance abuse disorder, you still have family dynamics at work in your life. Perhaps you now have a family of your own and the issues from your family of origin are affecting your own family. Maybe you need the support of your family as you recover. However, you need to address other issues along the way.
When choosing a substance use treatment program, look for one that has the following in addition to a family therapy program:
- Variety of placement options including detox, outpatient and residential
- Adept at addressing dual diagnosis and mental health issues
- Pet-friendly so you have the support of your favorite furry friends
- Adventure therapy oriented so you have fun during recovery
Westwind Recovery® is ready to support you during your recovery from a substance use disorder. We have a range of treatment options and methods that can assist you every step of the way. Contact us today at 855.340.8832 to learn more.